2016 MUSICAL STYLES. Wednesday 23 November: 1.30 pm Time: 1½ hours

Size: px
Start display at page:

Download "2016 MUSICAL STYLES. Wednesday 23 November: 1.30 pm Time: 1½ hours"

Transcription

1 External Examination MUSICAL STYLES Wednesday 23 November: 1.30 pm Time: 1½ hours Pages: 13 Questions: 10 Examination material: one 13-page question booklet one 16-page script book one SACE registration number label Approved dictionaries may be used. Instructions to Students 1. You will have 10 minutes to read the paper. You must not write in your script book or question booklet during this reading time but you may make notes on the scribbling paper provided. 2. This paper consists of questions on the ten core topics: Topic 1. Bach: Music and Patronage Topic 2. Beethoven: Music Finds Its Voice Topic 3. Schubert: The Romantic Voice Topic 4. Stravinsky: A New Musical Direction Topic 5. Archie Roach: Contemporary Aboriginal Music Topic 6. The Blues: Of Sadness and Joy Topic 7. Duke Ellington: Pianist, Composer, and Bandleader Topic 8. Miles Davis: Jazz Comes of Age Topic 9. The Beatles and the Beach Boys: Soundtracks of a Generation Topic 10. Sculthorpe: Twentieth-century Australian Music. 3. Answer two questions, each on a different topic. One must be an (a) question (an essay) and the other must be a (b) question (short-answer / extended-paragraph responses). 4. Write your answers in the script book provided, clearly indicating the question number in the margin at the beginning of each answer. 5. All questions are of equal value. You should spend equal time on each question. 6. You may use unmarked scores, transcriptions, or charts in writing your answers. 7. Attach your SACE registration number label to the box on the front cover of your script book. 8. Write the numbers of the questions you have answered in the box on the front cover of your script book (e.g. Question 4(b)). SACE Board of South Australia 2016

2 page 2 of 13

3 Topic 1. Bach: Music and Patronage 1. Answer only one of the following questions, (a) or (b). (a) Discuss the aspects of the musical style of Bach s Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 that are typical of the Baroque period. (b) Answer this question with reference to the Brandenburg Concerto No. 5. (i) With reference to the first movement: (1) name the form of the movement. (1 mark) (2) describe the function of the musical material in bars 1 7. (2 marks) (3) identify and describe the next two returns of this musical material after bars 1 7. (ii) Describe the two roles of the harpsichord, and give an example of each role in the first movement. (iii) Describe the stylistic features of the first 14 bars of the harpsichord cadenza. In your answer refer to compositional techniques and modulations. (5 marks) (iv) Write an extended paragraph in which you discuss the stylistic features of the second movement of Bach s Brandenburg Concerto No. 5. (9 marks) page 3 of 13 PLEASE TURN OVER

4 Topic 2. Beethoven: Music Finds Its Voice 2. Answer only one of the following questions, (a) or (b). (a) In the first movement of Beethoven s Symphony No. 6 ( Pastoral ), the composer exhibits an almost obsessive fascination with the theme in the opening four bars. Discuss this statement with reference to the set work. (b) Answer this question with reference to movements 1 and 4 of Symphony No. 6 ( Pastoral ). (i) With reference to the first movement: (1) name the form of the movement. (1 mark) (2) explain why this form is used. (2 marks) (ii) Identify the key at each of the following bars: (1) Bar 151. (1 mark) (2) Bar 193. (1 mark) (3) Bar 239. (1 mark) (iii) Describe Beethoven s use of harmony in the coda of the first movement. (iv) Refer to the fourth movement, and identify one example of each of the following musical features. In your answers name the instrument(s) and give a bar number for each example. (1) A chromatic scale. (2 marks) (2) Cross rhythm. (2 marks) (3) A dynamic indication that means always gradually becoming quieter. (2 marks) (v) Write an extended paragraph in which you discuss Beethoven s use of the cello and double bass in the fourth movement. (9 marks) page 4 of 13

5 Topic 3. Schubert: The Romantic Voice 3. Answer only one of the following questions, (a) or (b). (a) Compare and contrast the role of the piano in the three set works. (b) Answer this question with reference to the set works. (i) Name the term that best describes the form of: (1) Der Erlkönig. (1 mark) (2) Heidenröslein. (1 mark) (ii) With reference to the score of Heidenröslein : (1) state the function of the fi nal two bars. (1 mark) (2) name the tonic key. (1 mark) (3) describe Schubert s use of modulation. (iii) Describe the vocal line for the role of the narrator in Der Erlkönig. (iv) Describe the melodic features of the vocal line in Gretchen am Spinnrade. (5 marks) (v) Write an extended paragraph in which you analyse the piano accompaniment in Der Erlkönig. (8 marks) page 5 of 13 PLEASE TURN OVER

6 Topic 4. Stravinsky: A New Musical Direction 4. Answer only one of the following questions, (a) or (b). (a) In Petrouchka Stravinsky demonstrates a uniquely Russian musical language and a new direction for orchestral music. Discuss this statement with reference to the first tableau of Petrouchka. (b) Answer this question with reference to the first tableau of Petrouchka. (i) Give a brief outline of when and where the story of Petrouchka is set. (2 marks) (ii) Discuss Stravinsky s use of the perfect fourth interval. (3 marks) (iii) Discuss Stravinsky s orchestration of the string section in the Russian Easter song, Volochebniki, shown in the musical extracts below. (Use the version with which you are more familiar.) V. I. V. II. unis. V. I. (div.) Viole. Celli. div.a 2. V. II. (div.) C.B. Vla. (div.) Cello 1911 version 1947 version page 6 of 13

7 (iv) Describe how Stravinsky develops the theme in the 19-bar passage during the dance to Elle avait un jambe en bois. (3 marks) (v) The following musical extract is the flute solo in The Magic Trick scene. Name the arpeggiated chords indicated at (i), (ii), (iii), and (iv) below. (i) (ii) Fl. (iii) (iv) Fl. (vi) Write an extended paragraph in which you analyse Stravinsky s use of keyboard instruments in Petrouchka. (9 marks) page 7 of 13 PLEASE TURN OVER

8 Topic 5. Archie Roach: Contemporary Aboriginal Music 5. Answer only one of the following questions, (a) or (b). (a) Discuss how Archie Roach conveys his personal experience through the composition, performance, and recording of the set works. (b) Answer this question with reference to the set works. (i) Describe the accompaniment in Beautiful Child. (2 marks) (ii) Identify and describe the stylistic features of Wash My Soul in the River s Flow. (5 marks) (iii) Discuss how instruments and voices are used in Took the Children Away. (5 marks) (iv) Compare the instrumentation and harmony of Into the Bloodstream and Wash My Soul in the River s Flow. (v) Write an extended paragraph in which you discuss the historical and social context of the lyrics of the set songs. In your answer give examples of the lyrics. (9 marks) page 8 of 13

9 Topic 6. The Blues: Of Sadness and Joy 6. Answer only one of the following questions, (a) or (b). (a) The blues wouldn t be the same without the guitar. Discuss this statement with reference to the musical and technical features of the guitar solos and the guitar accompaniments in the set works. (b) Answer this question with reference to the set works. (i) With reference to Robert Johnson s Sweet Home Chicago : (1) describe the two main elements of the shuffl e played by Johnson. (2 marks) (2) name and describe two left-hand guitar techniques employed by Johnson. (ii) With reference to B.B. King s Why I Sing the Blues : (1) what is a chorus? (2 marks) (2) name the three main chords used in the song. (3 marks) (3) identify the two notes that do not belong in the following blues scale: (2 marks) (4) write a short paragraph in which you describe B.B. King s guitar style. (5 marks) (iii) Write an extended paragraph in which you compare and contrast the musical style of Eric Clapton and Muddy Waters. (7 marks) page 9 of 13 PLEASE TURN OVER

10 Topic 7. Duke Ellington: Pianist, Composer, and Bandleader 7. Answer only one of the following questions, (a) or (b). (a) Discuss Duke Ellington as a composer, bandleader, and pianist. In your answer refer to the set works. (b) Answer this question with reference to the set works. (i) Describe three features of Joe Tricky Sam Nanton s solo in Take It Easy. (3 marks) (ii) Identify two ways in which the influence of the blues is evident in East St Louis Toodle-oo. (2 marks) (iii) Compare and contrast the rhythm section in East St Louis Toodle-oo and Ko-Ko. (6 marks) (iv) Define the following terms, and give one example of each in the set works: (1) Pedal note. (2 marks) (2) Parallel voice leading. (2 marks) (3) Shout chorus. (2 marks) (v) Write an extended paragraph in which you analyse Duke Ellington s use of motifs in Ko-Ko. (8 marks) page 10 of 13

11 Topic 8. Miles Davis: Jazz Comes of Age 8. Answer only one of the following questions, (a) or (b). (a) Discuss how Miles Davis redefined jazz. In your answer refer to the set works. (b) (i) Name the following two scales, and identify the set work that is based on each scale. (1) (2) (2 marks) (2 marks) (ii) Discuss Miles Davis s use of motifs in Petits Machins. (iii) Discuss Miles Davis s note choice in his solo in Now s the Time. (iv) Compare and contrast the head of Now s the Time and Petits Machins. (3 marks) (6 marks) (v) So What created a new language of jazz. Write an extended paragraph in which you analyse this statement. (8 marks) page 11 of 13 PLEASE TURN OVER

12 Topic 9. The Beatles and the Beach Boys: Soundtracks of a Generation 9. Answer only one of the following questions, (a) or (b). (a) Discuss the extent to which the contributions of Brian Wilson and George Martin were integral to the creation of the set works. (b) Answer this question with reference to the set works. (i) Name two non-western instruments used in Within You, Without You. (2 marks) (ii) State two reasons why George Martin added strings to Within You, Without You. (2 marks) (iii) With reference to A Day in the Life, describe the method used to create: (1) the climax at the end of the fi rst section. (3 marks) (2) the fi nal chord. (3 marks) (iv) Describe the melody of the verse in Sloop John B. (5 marks) (v) Write an extended paragraph in which you analyse God Only Knows. In your answer refer to the song s form, vocal harmonies, and instrumentation. (10 marks) page 12 of 13

13 Topic 10. Sculthorpe: Twentieth-century Australian Music 10. Answer only one of the following questions, (a) or (b). (a) Discuss the various musical styles in the opening three movements of Peter Sculthorpe s Port Essington: for strings. (b) (i) Answer this question with reference to Movement 2, Theme and Variations: The Settlement. (1) Defi ne the term teneramente. (1 mark) (2) Name the following interval: Vla. (1 mark) (3) Name the broken chord below, found in the first line of the cadenza. a piacere Vlc. sempre (1 mark) (4) Discuss the presentation of the Aboriginal Djilile melody at fi gure 4. (6 marks) (5) Write an extended paragraph in which you analyse Sculthorpe s representation of the confl ict between the British settlement and the northern Australian bush. In your answer refer to the unusual string techniques employed from figure 7. (8 marks) (ii) With reference to Movement 4, Nocturnal: Estrangement, explain how Sculthorpe s music suggests that the British settlers at Port Essington were learning to live in harmony with the Australian bush. (iii) Name the arpeggiated chords indicated at (i), (ii), (iii), and (iv) below, in this passage from Movement 5, Arietta: Farewell. (i) (ii) (iii) (iv) Vlc. page 13 of 13 end of question booklet

2015 MUSICAL STYLES. Wednesday 18 November: 1.30 p.m. Time: 1½ hours

2015 MUSICAL STYLES. Wednesday 18 November: 1.30 p.m. Time: 1½ hours External Examination 2015 2015 MUSICAL STYLES Wednesday 18 November: 1.30 p.m. Time: 1½ hours Pages: 11 Questions: 10 Examination material: one 11-page question booklet one 16-page script book one SACE

More information

2011 MUSIC IN CONTEXT

2011 MUSIC IN CONTEXT External Examination 2011 2011 MUSIC IN CONTEXT Tuesday 15 November: 1.30 p.m. Time: 1½ hours Pages: 7 Questions: 10 Examination material: one 7-page question booklet one 16-page script book one SACE registration

More information

2011 SAMPLE MUSIC IN CONTEXT PAPER. The external assessment requirements of this subject are listed on page 8. Time: 1½ hours

2011 SAMPLE MUSIC IN CONTEXT PAPER. The external assessment requirements of this subject are listed on page 8. Time: 1½ hours Sample External Examination 2011 2011 MUSIC IN CONTEXT PAPER The external assessment requirements of this subject are listed on page 8. Time: 1½ hours Pages: 8 Questions: 10 Examination material: one 8-page

More information

Monday 23 May 2016 Morning

Monday 23 May 2016 Morning Oxford Cambridge and RSA Monday 23 May 2016 Morning AS GCE MUSIC G353/01 Introduction to Historical Study in Music *5968536820* Candidates answer on the Question Paper and on the Insert. OCR supplied materials:

More information

DEVELOPMENTS IN INSTRUMENTAL JAZZ; 1910 TO THE PRESENT DAY: AOS3

DEVELOPMENTS IN INSTRUMENTAL JAZZ; 1910 TO THE PRESENT DAY: AOS3 DEVELOPMENTS IN INSTRUMENTAL JAZZ; 1910 TO THE PRESENT DAY: AOS3 195 Duke Ellington Edward Kennedy Duke Ellington (1899 1974) was from Washington D.C. and was introduced to classical piano by music-loving

More information

Level 1 Music, Demonstrate knowledge of conventions used in music scores a.m. Wednesday 11 November 2015 Credits: Four

Level 1 Music, Demonstrate knowledge of conventions used in music scores a.m. Wednesday 11 November 2015 Credits: Four 91094 910940 1SUPERVISOR S Level 1 Music, 2015 91094 Demonstrate knowledge of conventions used in music scores 9.30 a.m. Wednesday 11 November 2015 Credits: Four Achievement Achievement with Merit Achievement

More information

Stephen Schwartz Defying Gravity (from Wicked) Name: PLC. score

Stephen Schwartz Defying Gravity (from Wicked) Name: PLC. score Stephen Schwartz Defying Gravity (from Wicked) I know the plot of Wicked and how the song fits into the musical I can describe the setting of the words, and understand vocables I can identify how the voices

More information

SAMPLE. Music Studies 2019 sample paper. Question booklet. Examination information

SAMPLE. Music Studies 2019 sample paper. Question booklet. Examination information Question booklet The external assessment requirements of this subject are listed on page 17. Music Studies 2019 sample paper Questions 1 to 15 Answer all questions Write your answers in this question booklet

More information

SAMPLE COURSE OUTLINE MUSIC WESTERN ART MUSIC ATAR YEAR 12

SAMPLE COURSE OUTLINE MUSIC WESTERN ART MUSIC ATAR YEAR 12 SAMPLE COURSE OUTLINE MUSIC WESTERN ART MUSIC ATAR YEAR 12 Copyright School Curriculum and Standards Authority, 2015 This document apart from any third party copyright material contained in it may be freely

More information

SPECIMEN PAPER FOR MUSIC

SPECIMEN PAPER FOR MUSIC Sixth Form Entrance Examination SPECIMEN PAPER FOR MUSIC This examination will take place in the Music Schools. Candidates must bring their instrument and music, including any accompaniment if applicable.

More information

Assessment Schedule 2017 Music: Demonstrate knowledge of conventions in a range of music scores (91276)

Assessment Schedule 2017 Music: Demonstrate knowledge of conventions in a range of music scores (91276) NCEA Level 2 Music (91276) 2017 page 1 of 8 Assessment Schedule 2017 Music: Demonstrate knowledge of conventions in a range of music scores (91276) Assessment Criteria Demonstrating knowledge of conventions

More information

2011 MUSICIANSHIP ATTACH SACE REGISTRATION NUMBER LABEL TO THIS BOX. Part 1: Theory, Aural Recognition, and Musical Techniques

2011 MUSICIANSHIP ATTACH SACE REGISTRATION NUMBER LABEL TO THIS BOX. Part 1: Theory, Aural Recognition, and Musical Techniques External Examination 2011 2011 MUSICIANSHIP FOR OFFICE USE ONLY SUPERVISOR CHECK ATTACH SACE REGISTRATION NUMBER LABEL TO THIS BOX QUESTION BOOKLET 1 19 pages, 21 questions RE-MARKED Wednesday 16 November:

More information

INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES

INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES SPECIMEN Advanced Subsidiary GCE MUSIC G353QP Unit G353: Introduction to Historical Study Specimen Paper Additional Materials: two score extracts CD recording. Playback facilities with headphones for each

More information

3 against 2. Acciaccatura. Added 6th. Augmentation. Basso continuo

3 against 2. Acciaccatura. Added 6th. Augmentation. Basso continuo 3 against 2 Acciaccatura One line of music may be playing quavers in groups of two whilst at the same time another line of music will be playing triplets. Other note values can be similarly used. An ornament

More information

SAMPLE COURSE OUTLINE MUSIC WESTERN ART MUSIC ATAR YEAR 11

SAMPLE COURSE OUTLINE MUSIC WESTERN ART MUSIC ATAR YEAR 11 SAMPLE COURSE OUTLINE MUSIC WESTERN ART MUSIC ATAR YEAR 11 Copyright School Curriculum and Standards Authority, 2014 This document apart from any third party copyright material contained in it may be freely

More information

MUSIC: CONTEMPORARY MUSIC

MUSIC: CONTEMPORARY MUSIC Western Australian Certificate of Education ATAR course examination, 2016 Question/Answer booklet MUSIC: CONTEMPORARY MUSIC Please place your student identification label in this box Student number: In

More information

Musicianship Question booklet 1. Examination information

Musicianship Question booklet 1. Examination information 1 Question booklet 1 Part 1: Theory, aural recognition, and musical techniques Section 1 (Questions 1 to 18) 122 marks Section 2 (Questions 19 and 20) 18 marks Answer all questions in Part 1 Write your

More information

L van Beethoven: 1st Movement from Piano Sonata no. 8 in C minor Pathétique (for component 3: Appraising)

L van Beethoven: 1st Movement from Piano Sonata no. 8 in C minor Pathétique (for component 3: Appraising) L van Beethoven: 1st Movement from Piano Sonata no. 8 in C minor Pathétique (for component 3: Appraising) Background information and performance circumstances The composer Ludwig van Beethoven was born

More information

MUSIC: PAPER I. 4. The music notation must be written using a sharp pencil. The rest of the paper must be answered in pen.

MUSIC: PAPER I. 4. The music notation must be written using a sharp pencil. The rest of the paper must be answered in pen. NATIONAL SENIOR CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION NOVEMBER 2016 MUSIC: PAPER I EXAMINATION NUMBER Time: 3 hours 100 marks PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY 1. This question paper consists of 14 pages,

More information

Tonality Tonality is how the piece sounds. The most common types of tonality are major & minor these are tonal and have a the sense of a fixed key.

Tonality Tonality is how the piece sounds. The most common types of tonality are major & minor these are tonal and have a the sense of a fixed key. Name: Class: Ostinato An ostinato is a repeated pattern of notes or phrased used within classical music. It can be a repeated melodic phrase or rhythmic pattern. Look below at the musical example below

More information

A collection of classroom composing activities, based on ideas taken from the Friday Afternoons Song Collection David Ashworth

A collection of classroom composing activities, based on ideas taken from the Friday Afternoons Song Collection David Ashworth Friday Afternoons a Composer s guide A collection of classroom composing activities, based on ideas taken from the Friday Afternoons Song Collection David Ashworth Introduction In the latest round of Friday

More information

OCR GCSE (9-1) MUSIC TOPIC EXPLORATION PACK - THE CONCERTO THROUGH TIME

OCR GCSE (9-1) MUSIC TOPIC EXPLORATION PACK - THE CONCERTO THROUGH TIME OCR GCSE (9-1) MUSIC TOPIC EXPLORATION PACK - THE CONCERTO THROUGH TIME Abstract [Draw your reader in with an engaging abstract. It is typically a short summary of the document. When you re ready to add

More information

WEST END BLUES / MARK SCHEME

WEST END BLUES / MARK SCHEME 3. You will hear two extracts of music, both performed by jazz ensembles. You may wish to place a tick in the box each time you hear the extract. 5 1 1 2 2 MINS 1 2 Answer questions (a-f) in relation to

More information

Level 2 Music, Demonstrate knowledge of conventions in a range of music scores pm Wednesday 28 November 2012 Credits: Four

Level 2 Music, Demonstrate knowledge of conventions in a range of music scores pm Wednesday 28 November 2012 Credits: Four 91276 912760 2SUPERVISOR S Level 2 Music, 2012 91276 Demonstrate knowledge of conventions in a range of music scores 2.00 pm Wednesday 28 November 2012 Credits: Four Achievement Achievement with Merit

More information

NATIONAL SENIOR CERTIFICATE GRADE 12

NATIONAL SENIOR CERTIFICATE GRADE 12 NATIONAL SENIOR CERTIFICATE GRADE 12 MUSIC P1 FEBRUARY/MARCH 2011 CENTRE NUMBER: EXAMINATION NUMBER: MARKS: 120 Time: 3 hours This question paper consists of 16 pages and 1 page of manuscript paper. Music/P1

More information

Romantic is a term used to describe the music and art that was created from about 1810 to 1900.

Romantic is a term used to describe the music and art that was created from about 1810 to 1900. 1810-1900 Romantic is a term used to describe the music and art that was created from about 1810 to 1900. Romantic composers aimed to express more emotion in their music and looked for a greater freedom

More information

The Composer s Materials

The Composer s Materials The Composer s Materials Module 1 of Music: Under the Hood John Hooker Carnegie Mellon University Osher Course July 2017 1 Outline Basic elements of music Musical notation Harmonic partials Intervals and

More information

3. Berlioz Harold in Italy: movement III (for Unit 3: Developing Musical Understanding)

3. Berlioz Harold in Italy: movement III (for Unit 3: Developing Musical Understanding) 3. Berlioz Harold in Italy: movement III (for Unit 3: Developing Musical Understanding) Background information Biography Berlioz was born in 1803 in La Côte Saint-André, a small town between Lyon and Grenoble

More information

MUSIC: WESTERN ART MUSIC

MUSIC: WESTERN ART MUSIC ATAR course examination, 2017 Question/Answer booklet MUSIC: WESTERN ART MUSIC Please place your student identification label in this box Student number: In figures In words Time allowed for this paper

More information

MUS1. General Certificate of Education June 2008 Advanced Subsidiary Examination. Understanding Music. Time allowed: 2 hours 30 minutes

MUS1. General Certificate of Education June 2008 Advanced Subsidiary Examination. Understanding Music. Time allowed: 2 hours 30 minutes Surname Other Names For Examiner s Use Centre Number Candidate Number Candidate Signature General Certificate of Education June 2008 Advanced Subsidiary Examination MUSIC Unit 1 Understanding Music MUS1

More information

2010 HSC Music 2 Musicology and Aural Skills Sample Answers

2010 HSC Music 2 Musicology and Aural Skills Sample Answers 2010 HSC Music 2 Musicology and Aural Skills Sample Answers This document contains sample answers, or, in the case of some questions, answers could include. These are developed by the examination committee

More information

7. Stravinsky. Pulcinella Suite: Sinfonia, Gavotta and Vivo

7. Stravinsky. Pulcinella Suite: Sinfonia, Gavotta and Vivo 7. Stravinsky Pulcinella Suite: Sinfonia, Gavotta and Vivo (For Unit 6: Further Musical Understanding) Background information and performance circumstances The Russian composer, Igor Stravinsky wrote the

More information

INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES

INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES Oxford Cambridge and RSA Friday 10 June 2016 Afternoon GCSE MUSIC B354/01 Listening *5926616173* Candidates answer on the Question Paper. OCR supplied materials: CD Other materials required: None Duration:

More information

National Quali cations Date of birth Scottish candidate number

National Quali cations Date of birth Scottish candidate number N5FOR OFFICIAL USE X750/75/0 National Quali cations 206 Mark Music FRIDAY, 3 MAY 9:00 AM 9:45 AM *X750750* Fill in these boxes and read what is printed below. Full name of centre Town Forename(s) Surname

More information

GCE. Music. Mark Scheme for January Advanced Subsidiary GCE Unit G353: Introduction to Historical Study in Music

GCE. Music. Mark Scheme for January Advanced Subsidiary GCE Unit G353: Introduction to Historical Study in Music GCE Music Advanced Subsidiary GCE Unit G353: Introduction to Historical Study in Music Mark Scheme for January 2013 Oxford Cambridge and RSA Examinations OCR (Oxford Cambridge and RSA) is a leading UK

More information

=Causeway Performing Arts= GCSE Music AoS 2: Shared Music (vol.3) CLASSICAL CONCERTO. in conjunction with

=Causeway Performing Arts= GCSE Music AoS 2: Shared Music (vol.3) CLASSICAL CONCERTO. in conjunction with =Causeway Performing rts= GCSE Music os 2: Shared Music (vol.3) CLSSICL CONCERTO in conjunction with www.musicdepartment.info THE CLSSICL CONCERTO The Classical period lasted from about 1750-1820. Composers

More information

Vivaldi: Concerto in D minor, Op. 3 No. 11 (for component 3: Appraising)

Vivaldi: Concerto in D minor, Op. 3 No. 11 (for component 3: Appraising) Vivaldi: Concerto in D minor, Op. 3 No. 11 (for component 3: Appraising) Background information and performance circumstances Antonio Vivaldi (1678 1741) was a leading Italian composer of the Baroque period.

More information

NATIONAL SENIOR CERTIFICATE GRADE 12 MUSC. 1 MUSIC P1 FEBRUARY/MARCH This question paper consists of 18 pages and 1 page of manuscript paper.

NATIONAL SENIOR CERTIFICATE GRADE 12 MUSC. 1 MUSIC P1 FEBRUARY/MARCH This question paper consists of 18 pages and 1 page of manuscript paper. NATIONAL SENIOR CERTIFICATE GRADE 12 MUSC. 1 MUSIC P1 FEBRUARY/MARCH 2010 CENTRE NUMBER: EXAMINATION NUMBER: MARKS: 120 TIME: 3 hours This question paper consists of 18 pages and 1 page of manuscript paper.

More information

LEVELS IN NATIONAL CURRICULUM MUSIC

LEVELS IN NATIONAL CURRICULUM MUSIC LEVELS IN NATIONAL CURRICULUM MUSIC Pupils recognise and explore how sounds can be made and changed. They use their voice in different ways such as speaking, singing and chanting. They perform with awareness

More information

LEVELS IN NATIONAL CURRICULUM MUSIC

LEVELS IN NATIONAL CURRICULUM MUSIC LEVELS IN NATIONAL CURRICULUM MUSIC Pupils recognise and explore how sounds can be made and changed. They use their voice in different ways such as speaking, singing and chanting. They perform with awareness

More information

Music Curriculum Map Year 5

Music Curriculum Map Year 5 Music Curriculum Map Year 5 At all times pupils will be encouraged to perform using their own instruments if they have them. Topic 1 10 weeks Topic 2 10 weeks Topics 3 10 weeks Topic 4 10 weeks Title:

More information

Sample assessment task. Task details. Content description. Year level 10

Sample assessment task. Task details. Content description. Year level 10 Sample assessment task Year level Learning area Subject Title of task Task details Description of task Type of assessment Purpose of assessment Assessment strategy Evidence to be collected Suggested time

More information

MUSIC (MUS) Music (MUS) 1

MUSIC (MUS) Music (MUS) 1 Music (MUS) 1 MUSIC (MUS) MUS 2 Music Theory 3 Units (Degree Applicable, CSU, UC, C-ID #: MUS 120) Corequisite: MUS 5A Preparation for the study of harmony and form as it is practiced in Western tonal

More information

17. Beethoven. Septet in E flat, Op. 20: movement I

17. Beethoven. Septet in E flat, Op. 20: movement I 17. Beethoven Septet in, Op. 20: movement I (For Unit 6: Further Musical understanding) Background information Ludwig van Beethoven was born in 1770 in Bonn, but spent most of his life in Vienna and studied

More information

Level performance examination descriptions

Level performance examination descriptions Unofficial translation from the original Finnish document Level performance examination descriptions LEVEL PERFORMANCE EXAMINATION DESCRIPTIONS Accordion, kantele, guitar, piano and organ... 6 Accordion...

More information

=Causeway Performing Arts= GCSE Music AoS 2: Shared Music (Vol.1) ROMANTIC SONG. in conjunction with

=Causeway Performing Arts= GCSE Music AoS 2: Shared Music (Vol.1) ROMANTIC SONG. in conjunction with =Causeway Performing Arts= GCSE Music AoS 2: Shared Music (Vol.1) ROMANTIC SONG in conjunction with www.musicdepartment.info This Chapter: Outlines the content and assessment of Area of Study 2 Looks in

More information

Year 8 revision booklet 2017

Year 8 revision booklet 2017 Year 8 revision booklet 2017 Woodkirk Academy Music Department Name Form Dynamics How loud or quiet the music is Key Word Symbol Definition Pianissimo PP Very Quiet Piano P Quiet Forte F Loud Fortissimo

More information

Learners will practise and learn to perform one or more piece(s) for their instrument of an appropriate level of difficulty.

Learners will practise and learn to perform one or more piece(s) for their instrument of an appropriate level of difficulty. OCR GCSE 9-1 MUSIC (J536) Examination date (Listening) 4 th June 2019 This is a checklist of topics you need to know for your Music exam. Listening exam 6 th June 2018 For each topic indicate your level

More information

The KING S Medium Term Plan - Music. Y10 LC1 Programme. Module Area of Study 3

The KING S Medium Term Plan - Music. Y10 LC1 Programme. Module Area of Study 3 The KING S Medium Term Plan - Music Y10 LC1 Programme Module Area of Study 3 Introduction to analysing techniques. Learners will listen to the 3 set works for this Area of Study aurally first without the

More information

Stylistic features Antonio Vivaldi: Concerto in D minor, Op. 3 No. 11

Stylistic features Antonio Vivaldi: Concerto in D minor, Op. 3 No. 11 Stylistic features Antonio Vivaldi: Concerto in D minor, Op. 3 No. 11 Piece Structure Tonality Organisation of Pitch Antonio Vivaldi 1678-1741 Concerto in D minor, Op. 3 No. 11 See separate table for details

More information

29 Music CO-SG-FLD Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Educators

29 Music CO-SG-FLD Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Educators 29 Music CO-SG-FLD029-02 Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Educators Readers should be advised that this study guide, including many of the excerpts used herein, is protected by federal copyright

More information

Key Stage: 4. Subject: Music. Aims of the subject:

Key Stage: 4. Subject: Music. Aims of the subject: Key Stage: 4 Subject: Music Aims of the subject: Whether we are listening to our ipods, watching the TV or playing computer games, music is everywhere. Some people really enjoy making music as singers

More information

TRUMPET CONCERTO IN E flat 3 rd MOVEMENT by HAYDN

TRUMPET CONCERTO IN E flat 3 rd MOVEMENT by HAYDN Secondary 10 PIECES PLUS! TRUMPET CONCERTO IN E flat 3 rd MOVEMENT by HAYDN TEACHER PAGES TRUMPET CONCERTO IN E flat, 3 rd MOVEMENT BY JOSEPH HAYDN http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p034pp7f CONTEXT Haydn

More information

Teaching Resource COMPOSITION. 7 Activities for Teaching Composition

Teaching Resource COMPOSITION. 7 Activities for Teaching Composition Teaching Resource COMPOSITION 7 Activities for Teaching Composition Contents In this Resource This is one of THREE resources released by the ACO for secondary schools. Each resource focusses on a core

More information

Curriculum Overview Music Year 9

Curriculum Overview Music Year 9 2015-2016 Curriculum Overview Music Year 9 Within each Area of Study students will be encouraged to choose their own specialisms with regard to Piano, Guitar, Vocals, ICT or any other specialism they have.

More information

Courtney Pine: Back in the Day Lady Day and (John Coltrane), Inner State (of Mind) and Love and Affection (for component 3: Appraising)

Courtney Pine: Back in the Day Lady Day and (John Coltrane), Inner State (of Mind) and Love and Affection (for component 3: Appraising) Courtney Pine: Back in the Day Lady Day and (John Coltrane), Inner State (of Mind) and Love and Affection (for component 3: Appraising) Background information and performance circumstances Courtney Pine

More information

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Notes: 1. GRADE 1 TEST 1(b); GRADE 3 TEST 2(b): where a candidate wishes to respond to either of these tests in the alternative manner as specified, the examiner

More information

Year 11 GCSE MUSIC LC3 Medium Term Plan

Year 11 GCSE MUSIC LC3 Medium Term Plan Year 11 GCSE MUSIC LC3 Medium Term Plan Overarching challenge question Exam board links Line of enquiry s Home learning Was Beethoven just another Classical composer? This topic links to component 2 composing

More information

2 3 Bourée from Old Music for Viola Editio Musica Budapest/Boosey and Hawkes 4 5 6 7 8 Component 4 - Sight Reading Component 5 - Aural Tests 9 10 Component 4 - Sight Reading Component 5 - Aural Tests 11

More information

J536 Composition. Composing to a set brief Own choice composition

J536 Composition. Composing to a set brief Own choice composition J536 Composition Composing to a set brief Own choice composition Composition starting point 1 AABA melody writing (to a template) Use the seven note Creative Task note patterns as a starting point teaches

More information

What are the first names of the pop duo, Simon and Garfunkel? A. Steve and John B. Ray and Bob C. Alan and Doug D. Paul and Art

What are the first names of the pop duo, Simon and Garfunkel? A. Steve and John B. Ray and Bob C. Alan and Doug D. Paul and Art Practice Test 1 The dynamic mark pp is called: A. Piano B. Pianissimo C. Piano possible D. Pianamos 2 What is another name for the treble clef? A. C clef B. A clef C. G clef D. E clef 3 In the middle ages,

More information

GCSE MUSIC Listening to and Appraising Music Mark scheme. Version/Stage: 1.0 Final

GCSE MUSIC Listening to and Appraising Music Mark scheme. Version/Stage: 1.0 Final GCSE MUSIC 42701 Listening to and Appraising Music Mark scheme 4270 2014 Version/Stage: 1.0 Final Mark schemes are prepared by the Lead Assessment Writer and considered, together with the relevant questions,

More information

38. Schubert Der Doppelgänger (for Unit 3: Developing Musical Understanding)

38. Schubert Der Doppelgänger (for Unit 3: Developing Musical Understanding) 1 38. Schubert Der Doppelgänger (for Unit 3: Developing Musical Understanding) Background information and performance circumstances Biography Franz Schubert was born in 1797 in Vienna. He died in 1828

More information

BOPLICITY / MARK SCHEME

BOPLICITY / MARK SCHEME 1. You will hear two extracts of music, both performed by jazz ensembles. You may wish to place a tick in the box each time you hear the extract. 5 1 1 2 2 MINS 1 2 Answer questions (a-e) in relation to

More information

Unit Outcome Assessment Standards 1.1 & 1.3

Unit Outcome Assessment Standards 1.1 & 1.3 Understanding Music Unit Outcome Assessment Standards 1.1 & 1.3 By the end of this unit you will be able to recognise and identify musical concepts and styles from The Classical Era. Learning Intention

More information

SAMPLE ASSESSMENT TASKS MUSIC CONTEMPORARY ATAR YEAR 12

SAMPLE ASSESSMENT TASKS MUSIC CONTEMPORARY ATAR YEAR 12 SAMPLE ASSESSMENT TASKS MUSIC CONTEMPORARY ATAR YEAR 12 Copyright School Curriculum and Standards Authority, 2015 This document apart from any third party copyright material contained in it may be freely

More information

SECTION A Aural Skills

SECTION A Aural Skills SECTION A Aural Skills The CD will play the examination questions for you. Listen carefully! 40 Marks 1. Six Intervals will now be played for you to identify them. You will hear each interval twice. Make

More information

Music (MUS) 1. Music (MUS)

Music (MUS) 1. Music (MUS) Music (MUS) 1 Music (MUS) Courses MUS A103 Matanuska-Susitna College Community Band 2 Credits Structured, established concert band. Special Note: Age group ranges from 10-80. Experience ranges from basic

More information

Key Stage 4 Music at Robert Smyth Academy

Key Stage 4 Music at Robert Smyth Academy Key Stage 4 Music at Robert Smyth Academy Students currently in Year 11 study one of two GCSEs, offered by the examination boards AQA and Edexcel. AQA GCSE Music (subject code 4272) Content indicated by

More information

The Baroque Period: The Romantic Era: th & 21st Century Classical Music: 1900-Present day. Course work and revision materials

The Baroque Period: The Romantic Era: th & 21st Century Classical Music: 1900-Present day. Course work and revision materials Course work and revision materials The Baroque Period:1600-1750 The Romantic Era: 1810-1900 20th & 21st Century Classical Music: 1900-Present day www.creativeartsmusic.wordpress.com Name:... Class:...

More information

Year 11 SOW MUSIC Autumn Week. Lesson Objectives/ PLC Activities Assessment / key questions Week 1 Recap Handle Mozart

Year 11 SOW MUSIC Autumn Week. Lesson Objectives/ PLC Activities Assessment / key questions Week 1 Recap Handle Mozart Year 11 SOW MUSIC Autumn Week. Lesson Objectives/ PLC Activities Assessment / key Week 1 Recap Handle Mozart Week 1 lesson 2 Coursework- Brief To explore the orchestral work of Mozart and key classical

More information

AMusTCL. Sample paper from Your full name (as on appointment form). Please use BLOCK CAPITALS. Centre

AMusTCL. Sample paper from Your full name (as on appointment form). Please use BLOCK CAPITALS. Centre AMusTCL Sample paper rom 2017 Your ull name (as on appointment orm). Please use BLOCK CAPITALS. Your signature Registration number Centre INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES 1. The time allowed or answering this

More information

Thursday 10 January 2013 Morning

Thursday 10 January 2013 Morning Thursday 10 January 2013 Morning AS GCE MUSIC G353/01 Introduction to Historical Study in Music *G324340113* Candidates answer on the Question Paper and on the Insert. OCR supplied materials: Insert (G353/01/I)

More information

SAMPLE ASSESSMENT TASKS MUSIC JAZZ ATAR YEAR 11

SAMPLE ASSESSMENT TASKS MUSIC JAZZ ATAR YEAR 11 SAMPLE ASSESSMENT TASKS MUSIC JAZZ ATAR YEAR 11 Copyright School Curriculum and Standards Authority, 2014 This document apart from any third party copyright material contained in it may be freely copied,

More information

GRADE 12 SEPTEMBER 2012 MUSIC P1

GRADE 12 SEPTEMBER 2012 MUSIC P1 Province of the EASTERN CAPE EDUCATION NATIONAL SENIOR CERTIFICATE GRADE 12 SEPTEMBER 2012 MUSIC P1 NAME: MARKS: 125 TIME: 3 hours *MUSDM1* This question paper consists of 21 pages, including a rough work

More information

MUSIC Hobbs Municipal Schools 6th Grade

MUSIC Hobbs Municipal Schools 6th Grade Date NM State Standards I. Content Standard 1: Learn and develop the essential skills and technical demands unique to dance, music, theatre/drama, and visual art. A. K-4 BENCHMARK 1A: Sing and play instruments

More information

King Edward VI College, Stourbridge A Level Music Induction

King Edward VI College, Stourbridge A Level Music Induction King Edward VI College, Stourbridge A Level Music Induction Name Music at King Edward VI A level Music To Do List Sign up to our blog on www.alevelmusic.com (you can also follow the links to Twitter and

More information

Cambridge International Examinations Cambridge International General Certifi cate of Secondary Education

Cambridge International Examinations Cambridge International General Certifi cate of Secondary Education Cambridge International Examinations Cambridge International General Certifi cate of Secondary Education MUSIC 040/0 Paper Listening For examination from 05 MARK SCHEME Maximum Mark: 70 Specimen The syllabus

More information

The Composer s Materials

The Composer s Materials The Composer s Materials Module 1 of Music: Under the Hood John Hooker Carnegie Mellon University Osher Course September 2018 1 Outline Basic elements of music Musical notation Harmonic partials Intervals

More information

KS3 Music. Curriculum Map

KS3 Music. Curriculum Map KS3 Music Curriculum Map Spring Why World Music? What special features characterise Latin American Samba music? What are the performance techniques for the piano/keyboard? How do I read western music notation?

More information

Arranging in a Nutshell

Arranging in a Nutshell Arranging in a Nutshell Writing portable arrangements for 2 or 3 horns and rhythm section Jim Repa JEN Conference, New Orleans January 7, 2011 Web: http://www.jimrepa.com Email: jimrepa@hotmail.com 1 Portable

More information

rhinegold education: subject to endorsement by ocr Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A, K. 622, first movement Context Scores AS PRESCRIBED WORK 2017

rhinegold education: subject to endorsement by ocr Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A, K. 622, first movement Context Scores AS PRESCRIBED WORK 2017 94 AS/A LEVEL MUSIC STUDY GUIDE AS PRESCRIBED WORK 2017 Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A, K. 622, first movement Composed in 1791 (Mozart s last instrumental work, two months before he died), dedicated to

More information

Made Me Glad. Words & music by Miriam Webster. Arranged by Mark Cole. Based on the popular recording from the Hillsong Music Australia album Blessed

Made Me Glad. Words & music by Miriam Webster. Arranged by Mark Cole. Based on the popular recording from the Hillsong Music Australia album Blessed PraiseCharts Worship Band Series Made Me Glad Words & music by Miriam Webster Arranged by Mark Cole Based on the popular recording from the Hillsong Music Australia album Blessed The PraiseCharts Worship

More information

MUSIC (MU) Music (MU) 1

MUSIC (MU) Music (MU) 1 Music (MU) 1 MUSIC (MU) MU 1130 Beginning Piano I (1 Credit) For students with little or no previous study. Basic knowledge and skills necessary for keyboard performance. Development of physical and mental

More information

King Edward VI College, Stourbridge Starting Points in Composition and Analysis

King Edward VI College, Stourbridge Starting Points in Composition and Analysis King Edward VI College, Stourbridge Starting Points in Composition and Analysis Name Dr Tom Pankhurst, Version 5, June 2018 [BLANK PAGE] Primary Chords Key terms Triads: Root: all the Roman numerals: Tonic:

More information

Monday 12 May 2014 Afternoon

Monday 12 May 2014 Afternoon Monday 12 May 2014 Afternoon AS GCE MUSIC G353/01 Introduction to Historical Study in Music *1065823163* Candidates answer on the Question Paper and on the Insert. OCR supplied materials: Insert (G353/01/I

More information

CHAPTER ONE TWO-PART COUNTERPOINT IN FIRST SPECIES (1:1)

CHAPTER ONE TWO-PART COUNTERPOINT IN FIRST SPECIES (1:1) HANDBOOK OF TONAL COUNTERPOINT G. HEUSSENSTAMM Page 1 CHAPTER ONE TWO-PART COUNTERPOINT IN FIRST SPECIES (1:1) What is counterpoint? Counterpoint is the art of combining melodies; each part has its own

More information

Exam 2 MUS 101 (CSUDH) MUS4 (Chaffey) Dr. Mann Spring 2018 KEY

Exam 2 MUS 101 (CSUDH) MUS4 (Chaffey) Dr. Mann Spring 2018 KEY Provide the best possible answer to each question: Chapter 20: Voicing the Virgin: Cozzolani and Italian Baroque Sacred Music 1. Which of the following was a reason that a woman would join a convent during

More information

Introduction to Vocal Music: The development of Secular Song

Introduction to Vocal Music: The development of Secular Song Introduction to Vocal Music: The development of Secular Song Instructions and answers for teachers These instructions should accompany the OCR resource Introduction to Vocal Music: The development of Secular

More information

Piano Syllabus. London College of Music Examinations

Piano Syllabus. London College of Music Examinations London College of Music Examinations Piano Syllabus Qualification specifications for: Steps, Grades, Recital Grades, Leisure Play, Performance Awards, Piano Duet, Piano Accompaniment Valid from: 2018 2020

More information

Course Overview. Assessments What are the essential elements and. aptitude and aural acuity? meaning and expression in music?

Course Overview. Assessments What are the essential elements and. aptitude and aural acuity? meaning and expression in music? BEGINNING PIANO / KEYBOARD CLASS This class is open to all students in grades 9-12 who wish to acquire basic piano skills. It is appropriate for students in band, orchestra, and chorus as well as the non-performing

More information

GRADUATE PLACEMENT EXAMINATIONS MUSIC THEORY

GRADUATE PLACEMENT EXAMINATIONS MUSIC THEORY McGILL UNIVERSITY SCHULICH SCHOOL OF MUSIC GRADUATE PLACEMENT EXAMINATIONS MUSIC THEORY All students beginning graduate studies in Composition, Music Education, Music Technology and Theory are required

More information

EDEXCEL GCSE REVISION PACK INTRODUCTION

EDEXCEL GCSE REVISION PACK INTRODUCTION EDEXCEL GCSE REVISION PACK INTRODUCTION The resources are intended to support Edexcel teachers of Year 11 students in the first year of a mock exam in the new specification. There are 4 revision worksheets

More information

GCSE Music CPD Resource Booklet

GCSE Music CPD Resource Booklet GCSE Music CPD Resource Booklet Suggested teaching points:- Suggested brief:- Compose a piece of music in binary form to be performed as the opening item at a school concert. Several composers have borrowed

More information

MUSIC CURRICULM MAP: KEY STAGE THREE:

MUSIC CURRICULM MAP: KEY STAGE THREE: YEAR SEVEN MUSIC CURRICULM MAP: KEY STAGE THREE: 2013-2015 ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE Understanding the elements of music Understanding rhythm and : Performing Understanding rhythm and : Composing Understanding

More information

GCSE MUSIC UNIT 3 APPRAISING. Mock Assessment Materials NOVEMBER hour approximately

GCSE MUSIC UNIT 3 APPRAISING. Mock Assessment Materials NOVEMBER hour approximately Candidate Name Centre Number Candidate Number GCSE MUSIC UNIT 3 APPRAISING Mock Assessment Materials NOVEMBER 2017 1 hour approximately Examiners Use Only Question Max Mark 1 9 2 9 3 9 4 9 5 9 6 9 7 9

More information

Exemplar for Internal Achievement Standard. Music Level 2

Exemplar for Internal Achievement Standard. Music Level 2 Exemplar for internal assessment resource Music for Achievement Standard 91271 Exemplar for Internal Achievement Standard Music Level 2 This exemplar supports assessment against: Achievement Standard 91271

More information

GRADE 12 LEARNER SUPPORT PROGRAMME

GRADE 12 LEARNER SUPPORT PROGRAMME Province of the EASTERN CAPE EDUCATION Steve Vukile Tshwete Education Complex Zone 6 Zwelitsha 5608 Private Bag X0032 Bhisho 5605 REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA CHIEF DIRECTORATE CURRICULUM MANAGEMENT GRADE

More information

Syllabus List. Beaming. Cadences. Chords. Report selections. ( Syllabus: AP* Music Theory ) Acoustic Grand Piano. Acoustic Snare. Metronome beat sound

Syllabus List. Beaming. Cadences. Chords. Report selections. ( Syllabus: AP* Music Theory ) Acoustic Grand Piano. Acoustic Snare. Metronome beat sound Report selections Syllabus List Syllabus: AP* Music Theory SYLLABUS AP* Music Theory AP is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse,

More information

Analysis Worksheet Fauré Elegy

Analysis Worksheet Fauré Elegy Analysis Worksheet Fauré Elegy Composer/ Composition Information from analysis How this affects/informs performance Skill, Knowledge, Expression? Gabriel Fauré (1845-1924) pianist and organist, studied

More information